website image-01.jpg
homepage screen.jpg

Daycare Radon Project.

 

Radon gas is the second-leading cause of lung cancer. It is a naturally-occurring, radioactive gas produced by the decay of uranium in the ground. Radon is invisible - you can’t see it, smell or taste it, and it can get into buildings undetected. The only way to know if a home/building has high levels of radon gas, is to test for it. There are no “radon-free” areas in Nova Scotia.

 

The Lung Association of Nova Scotia is engaged in a new project, in partnership with Health Canada, to educate daycares and childcare facilities about the need to test for radon gas. While all provincial schools have been tested, many daycares remain at risk. Given that thousands children attend full-time daycare across the province, we believe there is a need to educate Nova Scotians about the potential issue of radon gas in these facilities. By doing so, we will be ensuring the children and staff who are in these facilities are not being exposed to a dangerous gas that can have detrimental effects on their long-term lung health.

Testing

We are contacting daycares by phone to determine interest. If your daycare agrees to participate, we will then:

 

  • Mail out test kit and instructions

  • Provide info for daycare & staff

  • Provide materials to give to parents

  • Follow-up when testing is done

  • Contact you for a follow-up survey to determine test results and next steps

Click HERE for project timeline

Click HERE to see how the testing works

Mitigation

If your daycare tests above Health Canada guidelines (200Bq/m3), we will:

 

  • Follow-up with next steps

  • Enter you into a draw to win one of 3 mitigation refunds (up to $2500 value)

  • Provide information on mitigation

*All data is kept confidential. Only aggregate data is shared for reporting purposes

Order a radon detector for my home
Why Test?

 

Testing for radon is simple to do and should be done in every building/home, in every community across Canada, regardless of whether your community is known to have high radon levels.

 

  • Radon levels can vary widely from one building/home to another, even on the same street.

  • With no smell, no colour and no taste the only way to know how much radon is in your building/home is to test for it.

  • Radon is the #1 cause of lung cancer for non-smokers.

  • Health Canada stresses the importance of having every building/home tested for radon, regardless of whether your community is known to have high radon levels.

 

shopping.png